Table of Contents
- Return to Maverick Community update 🏡
- Return to Traction + Updates page to read previous months' updates
- We have come to an agreement with the landlords at the ex-YogaWorks location in Playa Vista and hope to have the agreement signed soon. We are excited for this to be our first location because there were previously two successful boutique fitness businesses operating out of this shopping center - Flywheel (spinning) and YogaWorks (yoga). We have been in touch with the former instructors from both companies, and they are very excited about Maverick taking over the space.
- The ~7,500 square foot space is pretty turn-key ready to start operating. It is located in an outdoor mall with co-tenants such as Whole Foods, Cedars-Sinai, Sender One, Healthy Spot, and Brella.
- Our Instagram page is now live @bemav.co (shout out to Dante Iniguez, who did a great job with the design). We will start being active on the account as soon as we establish our first location.
- We received our EIN for our 501(c)(3) non-profit, Maverick Forward.
- We were inspired by the #ThisWayONward program from Old Navy + Magic Johnson. Watch a short 30-second clip here. "Opportunities shouldn’t just be for some but everyone” —> this is exactly why we are passionate about fostering new entrepreneurs in poor, underserved communities. Also, inspired by Jamiah Hargins for bringing fresh fruit and vegetables to South L.A.
- We received our sweatshirt and hat samples that had issues with the logos coming off and illegible fonts. New samples are in production.
- We conducted trainer outreach to trainers in Woodland Hills and found that creators respond better to Instagram DMs and text versus email. We launched our Instagram to start DM'ing wellness professionals.
- We've found that real estate is difficult to secure in popular, hip areas such as West Hollywood and Santa Monica, so we'll expand our search to the suburbs for future locations. Click here to read more about why we believe we can succeed in almost any city with existing gyms / fitness centers.
- We believe the outdoor fitness trend will continue to be popular and are impressed with DMN8, an outdoor fitness gym in Los Angeles that utilizes public parks, and OutFit Training, a mobile boutique fitness class by the founder of TRX.
- We toured gym and fitness facilities around Los Angeles and were most impressed by the design, equipment, and vibe at Undefeated's gym.
🏃 Next Moves
- We secured a new shorter URL, bemav.co, and will be updating our website and email addresses. We plan to utilize the word Mav by calling each location Mav. Ex: Playa Vista Mav
- Prospecting for wellness professionals on the westside, focusing on the Playa Vista, Silicon Beach area (ex: ex/current wellness professionals from YogaWorks, Flywheel, Barrys Bootcamp, Soul Cycle, F45, Equinox, etc.).
- Retrofitting the ex-YogaWorks space with new paint, plant life, new furniture, Maverick signage, refreshed lighting, personal training space divisions, fitness equipment, etc. The space already features subdivided studios equipped with robust, separate air conditioning units and speakers.
- We plan to create a spin room, a multi-purpose room (yoga, barre, boxing, dance cardio, cross-training, etc.), a wellness room (physical therapy, massage), and a personal training area that will fit up to 8 personal trainers.
- Introductions to personal trainers, group fitness instructors, physical therapists, massage therapists, and other wellness professionals on the west side of Los Angeles (Playa Vista, Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, Venice, Culver City, etc.). We would love to speak with anyone and everyone.
- Looking to speak with someone with management agreement experience. Example: someone who is working/has worked for Convene, Industrious, Common, etc.
- Introductions to non-profit leaders doing impactful work in South LA related to entrepreneurship and/or fitness.
- Looking for potential CTO candidates to join the team. Please let us know if you know anyone!
- Farooq Malik for introducing his thoughts on management agreements.
- Sean Flaherty for his Playeasy experience share and ideas around optimizing usage for gyms and sporting facilities.
- Alex Stone for his CoachUp experience share and thoughts on a co-op gym and the Pacasco co-ownership idea.
- Wellness professionals Josh Holland and Jackson Lynch for your great feedback.
- Greg Zen at Maven for giving a tutorial of his new patronage plus model.
- Sean Lyons for sharing his experience with Knotel and potential NYC locations.
- Edgar Brown for sharing his experience on his previous fitness business and for writing a great newsletter.
- Megan, former YogaWorks manager, for introducing us to ex-YogaWorks instructors.
- Dante Iniguez and Aardvark Letterpress for designing and creating beautiful thank you cards.
- Dror and Antony for putting together an excellent Real Estate course, Real Innovation Academy. Great content and networking!
When is the right time to launch, and how do you know? Evidence > Theories
Philosophy > Product
Whoever generates the demand captures the value
The Ownership Economy and how crypto may improve our creators' lives
Thanks for your support. Please reach out if you'd like to learn more or talk further.