Table of Contents
- Return to Maverick Community update 🏡
- Return to Traction + Updates page to read previous months' updates
- Produced the first deck. This deck was more of a business plan to be convinced that this is a good business to pursue. I also took a pass at the first branding iteration. View it here.
- Included in the deck are renderings of how we want our space to look and feel. Check them out here.
- Added two accomplished individuals to the co-founder team (these additions didn’t happen in December but wanted to include in the first update).
- Christian Straka: I’ve known Christian for the past ~10 years. I first met him as my tennis instructor, and he later became my mindfulness meditation coach. Christian has become a dear friend, and he brings so much to the team as a successful entrepreneur and wellness professional.
- Christian's focus is on networking and surveying wellness professionals in Los Angeles.
- Steve LePore: I’ve known Steve for the past ~2 years. We met when I hired him as the executive coach for the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition executive director, where I’m Board Chair. I was looking to implement a give-back component, and Steve challenged me to start a non-profit organization alongside the for-profit to bring our wellness centers to underserved, low-income communities. Steve brings so much knowledge and experience to the team as a three-time non-profit founder and executive director.
- Steve's focus is on speaking with non-profit leaders in South LA to learn who the current change-makers for fitness, wellness, and entrepreneurship. The goal is to create partnerships!
- Currently looking at a property in Hollywood, the former Wanderlust location, with the goal of signing a 6 to 12-month lease. I’ve connected with one of my favorite restaurateurs, Matthew Kenney, to take the kitchen space inside where he will run a ghost kitchen.
- We plan to bootstrap this first location with my own money and use it as a learning period to connect with the trainers/coaches/instructors using the space to find out what they want. We like this space because we can use it as is with minimal improvements (as it was a former yoga studio).
- It has proven to be tougher to find space than anticipated given the amount of vacant property and land.
🏃 Next Moves
- Goal is to speak with over 100 wellness professionals.
- Secure the first location - looking for outdoor space only as COVID prohibits working out indoors.
- Introductions to personal trainers, physical therapists, and other wellness professionals in Los Angeles. We would love to speak with anyone and everyone.
- Introductions to anyone who owns real estate with outdoor space in Los Angeles.
- Introductions to non-profit leaders doing impactful work in South LA related to entrepreneurship and/or fitness.
- Thank you to Steve and Christian for coming on board with such passion and enthusiasm!
- To all of the wellness professionals who let me interview them: Pixie, Russell, Samm, Caity, Anita, Scott, Michael, Eric, Sara, Lucas, Meagan, Amoila, Tony, Peter, Andrea, Hassan, Torrey, Andre, Sorel, Synthia, Molly, Tom, Jeff, Justine, David, Kupah (these conversations didn’t all happen this month but may have occurred earlier and I wanted to give proper respect).
- Especially a big shout out to Pixie, who has been so helpful and excited about this concept!
- Charlie Barstein for creating thoughtful and beautiful renderings of how we want our space to look and feel.
- Sam Polk at EveryTable for taking the time to chat about his company structure and his journey creating something similar to my vision but in the food space. Inspiring and motivating!
- Eric Taylor at Salon Republic for taking the time to chat about the salon suite business and how it could be done in the fitness/wellness space.
- Mike Rabin and Andrew Gindy for going through all early versions of the deck and models.
- Lauren Foundos at FORTË for being so enthusiastic and willing to help.
- Jake and Xan at Beta Agency for helping with initial location surveys.
- Anthony Vennare and the Fitt Insider team for teaching us about the fitness and wellness space and for taking the time to discuss Maverick.
- My entire family for being supportive and excited for this new venture (wife and parents especially!).
Thanks for your support. Please reach out if you'd like to learn more or talk further.